Are we still doing Fashion Trends in 2020?

 


Earlier this year articles from Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, and Insider gave us a glimpse of this year’s fashion trends, but are they really trends? Every year, magazines and fashion designers dole out the top trends for the year. But what a year it’s been. We’re still in the middle of a pandemic and fashion trends might be the furthest thing from our minds.  The one thing we’ve learned is that trends come and they go. It’s funny how things our parents and grandparents wore, and that we ridiculed in our young days have become the things we gawk over and want more than anything.  I went through the lists and  I wonder, why are some of these trends?


Neon

I’m seeing things I wore as a child being paraded as the “it” thing.  In the early 90s’ in remember wearing a multi-colored neon on my class trip to the zoo. Now it’s one of the biggest trends. I saw this last year and I mean did it really go out of style? Do you see how the colors pop?


Leather?

Yes, leather was projected to be a hit. I bought into it, literally. I have a cute green number in my closet waiting to grace the streets but, pandemic put a halt on that. So, maybe leather isn’t an all the time thing, but it’s a thing. 


Crochet.

One publication called this, “not your grandmother’s crochet” and yes this was supposed to be a big hit. Do you wear crochet? I know beach cover-ups are great but do you throw on a cute crochet vest that your mother made just because? Just me? Oh well. 


Polka Dots: 

Shocker. I wonder who came up with these lists. Who doesn’t like polka dots, any time of the year, in any style? Frankly, it’s a classic so who made this a “trend”? 


Hoop Earrings: 

Let the Black and Latina delegation put this to shame because we never stopped wearing hoops. Like seriously, hoops a trend? In what world? Moving on. 


The industrialized fashion world likes to make a big to-do about things most of us already incorporate in our lives. I didn’t mention the full lists but some overlapping items that stood out that weren’t really trends at all. What I’ve noticed from fashion influencers and bloggers is that they’ll wear what they want whether it’s on the season or not. The pandemic is teaching us how to revamp our lives and the entire fashion “industry” is probably falling in line.  But are we into trends when PJ’s, no pants, and gym pants have become the hit fashion of 2020?



My two cents: whether it’s trendy or not, wear what suits you. Wear what you like and wear it proudly.


Are you a fashion buff? Sound off! 


Comments

  1. I love your two cents the most, but appreciate what is happening in the fashion world too. Thanks for clueing me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with wearing whatever you want and whatever makes you feel good! I went to school for fashion marketing and work in the industry and i think a lot of people get caught up in the trends but in reality, fashion is whatever you want to make it! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Hailey | https://feelinggoodashail.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have realized that because the “trends” recycle I am going to stop giving things away because they almost always come back around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts